Maelor Forest Nurseries Ltd is a wholesale forest nursery. We provide around 28 million bare root forest trees and half a million cell-grown forest trees to the market each year, both in the UK and abroad.
Maelor Forest Nurseries Ltd recognise their impact upon the environment, and is committed to achieving continual improvement in their environmental performance. We strive to be a leader in environmental management within the industry. We are keen for this to reflect in our products, and will continue to provide trees grown in a sustainable manner for many years to come. Environmental considerations are incorporated in all business activities, by conserving natural resources and by controlling significant environmental impacts associated with our operations. We pay particular attention to the key areas highlighted by our environmental review, such as use of resources, diffuse land pollution from fields and use and management of hazardous products. We are decreasing our use of pesticides through the increased application of biological alternatives. We are reducing plastic consumption and waste through the use of biodegradable twine and the reuse of co-extruded bags. We commit to protect the environment, and reduce of pollution arising from our activities. Measures to address all environmental concerns are managed through our ISO 9001 system.
To support these policy aims Maelor Forest Nurseries Ltd will:
- Inform and train employees to take account of environmental issues in all aspects of their work;
- Comply with and where possible exceed all relevant environmental legislation and other requirements to which the organisation subscribes;
- Significantly reduce the use of peat in the growing media;
- Ensure that our activities on the land do not have a negative impact on future production capabilities, and thus ensuring a sustainable future for the business;
- Prevent pollution through the setting of objectives and targets that focus on land management, waste, and resource efficiency;
- Reduce, reuse and recycle waste wherever possible;
- Improve resource efficiency by monitoring consumption and raising awareness through our Environmental Improvement Plan.
This policy is reviewed on an annual basis.